Because we take the protection of your data very seriously, the first time you log in to Milk you will be given a generated password that can be quite tricky to enter. The most common mistakes to occur when rolling out passwords to first timer users are:
- Students writing down their initial passwords incorrectly, e.g., l I 1 0 O all look similar (lowercase ‘L’, uppercase ‘i’ and number 1, number zero and uppercase ‘o’).
- If using a mail merge to distribute passwords, students being issued with the wrong password due to an error manipulating excel.
- Cutting and pasting login IDs and passwords from emails has been known to cause errors, we suggest you type these in yourself instead.
- MILK ID is always uppercase e.g., NGA9400MB not nga9400mb, also notice that the MILK ID contains the number ‘zero’ and not the letter ‘o’.
- If you are distributing passwords on paper (i.e., so users cannot copy and paste) – we would recommend using a monospace font such as Courier / Courier New. This makes characters less ambiguous. For example, the number zero will be displayed with a line going through it.
The good news is, you will be asked to enter an email address and more friendly password of your choosing after your initial log in. From this point onwards, users can log in using their email address and custom password.
If you cannot remember you password or experience problems logging in to Milk, any staff member with access to Milk can quickly reset a student (and parent) password simply by searching for that student’s dashboard profile in Milk and clicking on ‘reset password’.
You don’t need to on rely ‘administrator’ access rights or your school’s IT manager to reset passwords – all staff can do this.
Repeated incorrect password entries will result in ‘account locked’. Staff will need to ask someone with administrator access to unlock their account, while students and parents can ask any member of staff with Milk access to unlock theirs.
This article was updated on 28 September 2016.
If you have any problems, our tech support team are always ready to help and are best connected at firstname.lastname@example.org